Need to Node is a weekly bulletin designed to keep you up-to-date with the latest news on the Node.js project, events and articles. You are always welcome to collaborate and participate. Please let us know if we missed a piece of content you think should be included!
What’s New in the Node.js Project
Node.js version 14 Released — Woo-hoo it’s finally here! Node.js v.14 now becomes the current release line with it becoming a LTS (Long Term Support) release in October. It’s recommended to keep using Node.js version 12 for now. Some of the most exciting features include:
- Diagnostic Report goes Stable
- V8 upgraded to V8 8.1
- Experimental Async Local Storage API
- Improvements to Streams.
- Experimental WebAssembly System Interface (WASI) to support future WebAssembly use cases.
- Removal of Experimental Modules Warning (but it still is experimental).
Awesome Articles, Links, and Resources
- Diagnostics in Node.js Part 2, useful techniques for diagnostics in Node.js - by lizparody
- ZEIT is now Vercel This new identity aligns with their new focus — to provide the ultimate workflow for developing, previewing, and shipping Jamstack sites. They also raised $21M in Series A funding.
- npm trends a useful tool to compare package downloads counts over time. By John Potter
- Lazy npm A simple terminal UI for npm commands. By Jesse Duffield
- The cost of downloading the file on the network
- The cost of parsing and compiling the uncompressed file once downloaded
- The memory cost Read this blog post to find out more! By Tim Kadlec
- Recommended GitHub Integrations for 2020 IDE integrations, GitHub bots, issue trackers and much more — to help you make the most out of GitHub. By Fernando Doglio
- 8 Basic Coding Conventions Every Developer Needs To Practice. Including: spaces vs tabs, naming conventions and practice proper directory structure. By Ann Adaya
One Last Thing...